The Alligator Point\St Teresa suggests you write your state officials (addresses listed below), using the suggested language indicated below informing them that Franklin County is not equipped to provide a permanent solution to repairing and maintaining Alligator Drive.
To: (Government Official)
Subject: Alligator Point, FL Hurricanes Michael and Hermine Damage to Franklin County Road 370
I and the other residents of Alligator Point, Florida are asking for your assistance in getting County Road 370 (aka Alligator Drive) permanently repaired after the damage from both Hurricanes Michael (2018) and Hermine (2016). Our temporary roadway (initially installed after Hermine, destroyed by Michael, and poorly replaced after Michael. The temporary road does not provide guaranteed access, and all life safety mechanisms such as Sheriff, EMS, Fire, waste, postal service, commerce, etc. Not to mention traffic safety with tractor trailers negotiating a curvy one lane road that does not meet any roadway standards. The damage roadway has divided Alligator Point into in two. Located on wrong side of the destroyed section of Alligator Drive are.
- 125 homes
- Alligator Point Fire Department Headquarters
- the Alligator Point Water District Headquarters
- Public Access to the beaches
The advice we received from our Franklin County Commissioners is to
- Convince the State of Florida to re-take over CR 370 (Alligator Drive).
- Pay more taxes to keep guaranteed road access to our homes, businesses, and beaches or they will abandon the CR 370 and the Alligator Point tax payers. We already pay over $1.7 Million in property taxes each year, 17% of the county’s budget, with 1% of the population, and receive less than 3% of that back in services.
- buy boats to access our properties.
We need the following help from you
- Call and offer Support (funding, legislation, and environmental permit relief) the efforts of Wes Maul, Florida Director of State Emergency Management and John McCool, Federal Coordinating Officer for FEMA (who recently visited Alligator Point) to restore safe access to Alligator Point
- Contact Franklin County officials and advise them to support Mr. Maul’s and Mr. McCool’s efforts
- Support, through executive action or legislation, that the State of Florida taking back responsibility CR 370
These are the Government Officials
Florida Governor Rick Scott
Contact through this website: https://www.flgov.com/sunburst
Florida US Senator Marco Rubio
Contact through this website: https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact
Florida US Senator Bill Nelson
contact through this webstite: https://www.billnelson.senate.gov/contact-bill
Neal Dunn, US House Representative
contact through this website: https://dunn.house.gov/contact
Florida state Senator Bill Montfort
Contact through this website: https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s3
Florida state Representative Halsey Beshears
Contact through this website: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/emailrepresentative.aspx?MemberId=4539&SessionId=87